Monday, January 30, 2012

Twist and Turns of Life

You never know where life is going to take you.  9 years ago I was interning for the Gary Railcats, sending out resumes to multiple minor league baseball teams, getting ready to graduate with a minor and major.  Over the last nine years I have had multiple jobs.
-Office Assistant
-Teacher
-Coach (Softball and Volleyball)
-Health Club General Manager
-Autism Aide
-Banquet Hall Server
-Softball Instructor
-Child Care
-Overnight Stocker
-Softball Program Manager
-Real Estate Appraiser
-Mommy  (the most important and fulfilling)


Although I thought after 9 years, a degree, and many years of work experience, I would be farther along in my career, not scraping by.  This sucks!  I didn't even make enough this week to cover my insurance.  I have to PAY my work!
I love my job in real estate but there are so many ups and downs that I am not sure I am going to be able to hold on much longer.  People who I graduated with are making so much more money 2 or 3 times as much!  It hurts!  I see jobs I am qualified for and see the pay I could be making, it is hard.  My job is flexible and I can see my kids more but on the other hand, we need to make money to get where we want to be and we are not there right now.  Why did I go to school and rack up $30,000 of student loans when I could have done this job with an associate.  I know I want to advance and would have to have a bachelors but like I said above, not sure I can hold on that long.
I feel for my husband.  He has seen me through all these jobs and has supported me.  He knows we don't want to just put a band-aid on the problem right now but I need to do something.  He knew what he wanted to do from the time he started college.  I envy people who are like that.  I thought I knew and maybe I still have room for the health care industry but it's time to make a change for our family!  No just getting by, time to suck it up and dive into the career world and do what I have to do.
So the job search has begun.  I am currently getting all my information in to sub in Dekalb County.  Would be kinda weird to work in the same school as Dusty, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  I have also been approached to coach volleyball at the high school.  I loved coaching volleyball.  It was fun, bad part, it is in the busiest time of our lives during the football season.  Pros and Cons...I said if a certain person got the head job, I would come back and coach.  Well she has it...so now it's decision making time.  I would need to depend on many people and sitters and I know Selynda would be flexible if there was a problem but coaching is a different kind of job.  There is no one there to "fill-in" if you or the kiddos are sick.  But it sure would be fun to do something for me and something I love showing up to do everyday! 
<3

No comments: